Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Wine Recommendations!

Since I am fortunate enough to live here in Provence-like Sonoma county, I frequently get requests for wine recommendations. Apparently there is an impression "out there" that I qualify as a wino.
The correct word in enophile, thank you very much.

So, here are three wines that Kay and I drink often, me more than her, each under $10 here in the county (might be higher out of state, if available). We are especially fortunate that we are close to several wineries that periodically have warehouse type sales, open to the local public only. We are drinking a Viansa Barbera that was sold in such a manner just before the holidays. Fab stuff and only $5 a bottle, since it was all overrun and they wanted to dump it, so to speak.
Anyway, here are the three:

Menage a Trois is a blend of Rhone style reds and is available nationally, thanks to it being purchased by a conglomerate from the local Napa owners. I put a detailed shot so you can see how the name is spelled. There is also a white version. Usually around $9.












































Next is a Chilean Sauvignon Blanc that I really enjoy. Very typical of the style, very crisp, minerally with tons of fruit. There is a strong connection between Chilean and CA winemakers.





























This Laurier Cab is a fruit bomb. Blended nicely from several vineyards, I think it's the runoff of a well known Napa winery that chooses to remain anonymous. This is usually priced in the $8 a bottle range, tho I find it on sale for just under $7 here. Cost Plus World Market might have this, Trader Joes does not.

No comments: